With the Baby Boomer generation starting to age out of independent living, the top senior housing developers in the United States are showing why they’ve been in business for so long.
Simply put, they’ve shown they can adapt.
Like many of the new mixed-use developments popping up across the nation, senior housing is being built in the same way.
Multiple housing types are constructed on the same campus, so seniors can transition from an independent living unit into an assisted living unit without the hassle of a move. There’s often also memory care or nursing areas as well.
Also, these developers know that seniors enjoy communal areas, just like anybody else.
That’s why so many of these companies are adding fitness centers, gardens, pools, salons and more. These large developments are almost becoming destinations spots.
Let’s take a look at ten of the top senior housing developers in America and some of their current projects.
1. Dominium- According to BuildCentral’s statistics, Dominium has 5,262 senior housing units in either planning or construction.
Headquartered in suburban Minneapolis, they primarily focus on independent senior living through their “Legends” brand, which reaches from Minnetonka, Minnesota to Centennial, Colorado.
Here’s one of their most interesting projects:
|Title||Legends of Newnan|
|Schedule||Still in planning, with approval granted by the City Council.|
202 affordable units in a mixture of one, two and three-bedroom units
Community garden and courtyard
Game, card and craft room
Theatre and beauty salon
2. The Related Companies- According to BuildCentral’s statistics, The Related Companies has 2,892 senior housing units in either planning or construction.
Though they often build luxury condominium and apartment towers, The Related Companies is one of Florida’s largest affordable housing developers.
Here’s one of their most interesting projects:
|Title||Brisas del Rio|
|Schedule||Work has started and should be completed in summer 2021|
168 affordable apartments in a mixture of studios and one-bedroom units
3. Ryan Companies- According to BuildCentral’s statistics, Ryan Companies has 2,812 senior housing units in either planning or construction.
One of the largest developers in America, Ryan Companies has offices sprinkled from one coast to the other.
They often partner with other developers and the project we’ll be looking at is set right in the midwest:
|Title||Six Corners Senior Living|
|Schedule||Work is expected to begin in late 2020 and last for two years.|
50,000 square feet of retail space
114 independent living units, 108 assisted living units and 38 memory care units.
Eleven of the units will be affordable.
Public plaza and terraces
4. The Wolff Company- According to BuildCentral’s statistics, The Wolff Company has 2,291 senior housing units in either planning or construction.
Headquartered in Scottsdale, Arizona, The Wolff Company primarily focuses on development in the western part of the country.
Their “Revel” brand has been part of projects in California, Arizona, Texas and more.
Here’s one of their most notable interesting projects:
|Schedule||Still in the planning stage.|
185 independent units with a mixture of studios, one and two-bedrooms
Fitness center and wellness areas
Commercial kitchen serving three daily meals
5. Pennrose- According to BuildCentral’s statistics, Pennrose has 2,114 senior housing units in either planning or construction.
Located in Philadelphia, Pennrose focuses on transforming communities and they have developed over 17,000 units.
Many of these are situated in the northeast, but Pennrose does venture to the southeast and midwest.
Here’s a fun one:
|Title||Stone and Bancroft School Conversion|
|Schedule||Work is scheduled to start in July and be completed in September 2021|
|Details||Conversion of two vacant schools
116 independent units
Some will be affordable.
6. United Properties- According to BuildCentral’s statistics, United Properties has 2,106 senior housing units in either planning or construction.
Yet another suburban Minneapolis-based company, United Properties has been in business for over 100 years.
Though they focus their efforts in Minnesota, they do occasionally range into Colorado and other states.
|Title||Oak Ridge Center Senior Campus|
|Schedule||Work will begin in early summer 2020 and be completed in late 2021|
135 independent living units
120 units for assisted living and memory care
110 units in a co-op
7. Oakmont Senior Living LLC- According to BuildCentral’s statistics, Oakmont Senior Living LLC has 2,086 senior housing units in either planning or construction.
Focusing on only the finest of retirement communities, Oakmont Senior Living specializes in luxurious housing with some of the top amenities nationwide.
Here’s one of their projects:
|Title||El Dorado Hills Town Center West|
|Location||El Dorado Hills, California|
|Schedule||Still in the early planning stages|
|Details||Up to 940 senior units on a 37-acre site
Health and wellness center
Library and lecture hall
Fitness center, walkways and gardens
8. Life Care Services LLC- According to BuildCentral’s statistics, Life Care Services LLC has 1,913 senior housing units in either planning or construction.
In addition to developing living spaces, Life Care Services also often manages the final product.
With communities ranging from New York to California, they are truly a nationwide company.
|Location||San Luis Obispo, California|
|Schedule||Expected to start in spring 2021 with a two-year construction schedule|
|Details||276 independent living apartments
66 independent living villas and assisted living units
188 beds for skilled nursing and memory care
45,000 square feet of retail space as part of another phase
9. Pulte Group- According to BuildCentral’s statistics, Pulte Group has 1,849 senior housing units in either planning or construction.
They’re the third-largest single-family home developer in the nation and are constantly expanding their scope.
We’re going to look at a senior housing village that shows their expertise:
|Title||Del Webb at Florham Park|
|Location||Florham Park, New Jersey|
|Schedule||Work started in late 2019 and should be completed in late 2022|
|Details||189 independent living apartments
136 independent living townhomes
100 single-family homes
Indoor and outdoor pool
10. CA Ventures- According to BuildCentral’s statistics, CA Ventures has 1,783 senior housing units in either planning or construction.
Headquartered in Chicago, Illinois, CA Ventures runs the gamut from student housing to luxury apartments.
Here’s one of their most interesting senior housing projects:
|Title||Immaculata High School Redevelopment|
|Schedule||CA Ventures has purchased the property and it is in the early planning stages|
|Details||Conversion of the school into 275 apartments
New 23-story building with 128 independent living units, 60 assisted living units and 32 memory care units
140-space parking garage
To learn more about these top senior housing developers in America, request a free trial or talk to a data expert right now.